Tuesday, January 5, 2010

An Unexpected Treat

Two weekends around Christmas, I was not able to fetch Uncle Seelan to the Sunday service. And I was always in a rush that I had no time to drop by at Seri Kenangan Home to fix a time for a Christmas treat with him as promised.

Wednesday afternoon, Mum and Leong's family left my house to visit the Melaka old town before they went back to Johor. I did not follow them. Instead, after a short rest at home, I went to the old folks' home with my car to invite Uncle Seelan for a second meal before the year 2009 ended the next day.

Uncle Seelan was surprised to find me there after the staff had informed him that somebody was going to bring him out. As I had no more energy to drive to Alor Gajah where he could have Kentucky fried chicken, we headed further down to a Chinese eatery at Cheng which sold char kuay teow (stir-fried rice cake strips). Unfortunately, it was not yet open. In that case, a third option was the 24-hour "Pinang Besar" which Uncle Seelan had also mentioned several times previously.

When we stepped into the restaurant, we chose a table and sat down. Behind Uncle Seelan's seat were two Chinese guys who looked at us curiously. I did not pay much attention to that. As my stomach was still full with heavy breakfast and lunch, I only ordered food and drink for Uncle Seelan. At the age of 85, this senior citizen of Sri Langkan origin loved all kinds of fried stuff and cold beverage like an eight-year-old child! He was contented when savouring his poori of which he insisted that I had a share, and drinking the cooling cincao.

Despite our age gap and race difference, Uncle Seelan and I had a nice moment of fellowship, while the two Chinese guys were chatting between them in Mandarin. Half an hour later, I felt that one of them turned their head and kept staring at me. As I was not sure if I was the real target, I did not look back at him.

After awhile, the guy stood up and approached our table.

"Miss, we'll settle your bill," He said in Mandarin.

I was a bit stunned by the act. Not knowing their motive, I answered politely with a smile, "It's OK, thanks!"

They insisted, but I still turned down their offer.

"We'd like to give this old man a treat."

"Never mind, today it's my Christmas treat for him."

"Miss, please let us pay. It's already good that you take care of old people."

They had been observing us. I was very humbled by such a compliment by two strangers. I was simply giving a service to an elderly who was not able to cross the road freely to have his favorite food and spending some quality time with him. To these two men, they probably saw Jesus' love in us.

This time, I accepted their kindness and handed the bill to them.

"Thank you very much. This old man lives in the nearby old folks' home. We're attending the same church. God bless you."

Then I recounted to Uncle Seelan in English what was happening. He smiled at the two guys who in return greeted him "God bless you" in English.

I pulled out my camera from my bag and asked them, "Would you like to take a picture with him?"

They smilingly shook their heads and went to the counter. I gratefully waved my hand at them. And they left.

So I took a picture of Uncle Seelan after his meal as a memory of this unexpected treat.

Later, Uncle Seelan told me that when he ate alone in a restaurant, other clients often quietly paid for him. To me, this was the first time I experienced this kind of warm act outside our church which gave Uncle Seelan free meals.

I thank God for these two kind men who indirectly gave me a treat. If they have not yet known our loving Lord, May God continue to touch their hearts through His people.

No comments: