Thursday, January 14, 2010

Agape Care's Thanksgiving Dinner

This year, I no longer look after the Agape Care Centre (ACC) children on Mondays since the single mothers changed their devotion time to Saturday afternoons. Nevertheless, I still help in the translation work and supervision of Johanan's studies when I am available on weekdays.

Even though I only came in as a volunteer in the middle of last July, Agape Care Centre has been very kind to me by blessing me with a free entrance ticket to Real Love Ministry's Thanksgiving Fundraising Dinner, a tasty fruit cake with liqueur and a nice card with words of appreciation. Last December when the chair lady aka my MLM small group leader Carol organized a thanksgiving dinner at her place, I was honoured to be invited among the board, full-time, part-time workers and their family members.

As I could not remember the exact location of the house, I parked at the roadside of the residential area to wait for Siew Hong's car to lead mine. As soon as we reached Carol's house, Siew Hong's three children happily joined two other boys to play chess. They were always excited to come to this bungalow with a lot of space to explore.

The buffet started after Carol and her husband Philip, also my MLM classmate, had given a welcome speech and said a prayer to give thanks to the Lord.

The down-to-earth couple, instead of their friendly Cambodian maid, was the one who put topping on the chapati to serve the guests.

Auntie Gek also gave a hand to cut the tomato-cheese tart.

Not only there was abundant food on the table, at the terrace two catering workers were barbecuing lamb chops for us to serve with three types of sauce, mashed potatoes and French baguette.

Siew Hong and I chose a pleasant seat near the swimming pool surrounded by tropical plants.

At such a relaxing atmosphere and in front of the succulent meat, fresh vegetables from the hosts' farm and mouth watering dessert,

both of us had to temporarily forget about our weight control. Unlike me who walked to and fro to add food, she just needed to remain seated to receive leftover food from Nathanael and Nadine who came to her from other corners of the house. And her plate was never empty for more than half an hour!

After the meal, the adults gathered in the living room for a sharing session.

All of us had learnt a lot from our serving in this challenging ministry. Personally, the friendship and experience I had gained after investing my time, talent and petrol money during the past five months were very worthy and precious.

Now ACC is actively looking for teachers/principal to teach/head their daycare/after-school care. If you are a bilingual (English-Mandarin) Christian with a passion for children from broken homes, why not be a blessing to these children at Kampung Lapan?

No comments: