Monday, January 25, 2010

When I Was Led By God's Spirit

During my second class on Monday morning, my hand phone rang. It was from my colleague YS.

"Hello, Miss Lim! I'm now in the bus on the way back from Singapore. I'm holding a big bag and I've a class at the city campus at 2.30pm. Could you please fetch me at Sentral at 12.30? Then I can leave my bag in your car instead of carrying it with me to the campus building."

"I've got an appointment at 12.30 to have lunch and pass text books to someone. Sorry, I can't help you." Actually the bus terminal was only about 5km's distance from where I was. However, when a sudden request disturbed my original plan and especially required driving effort from me, my immediate response was usually negative.

"Never mind then, I'll take a taxi."

While I was continuing my lesson, my mind was not in peace. I felt Jesus was reminding me, "You've been sharing the gospel with her. But if you aren't even willing to do her a small favour, do you think she can see My love in you?"

More than ten students were absent from that class because they needed to attend a seminar. So I only did revision exercise with the rest who were present and taught them a song. And I dismissed a bit earlier than usual. As soon as I stepped out of the classroom, I called YS back.

"Have you arrived at Sentral? I've finished my class and I can pick you now."

She had just checked out the taxi fare and entered a restaurant inside the terminal. Since I was coming immediately, she would just order take-away food.

Before I left the campus, I SMS-ed my colleague with whom I had the appointment that I might be late. When I arrived at the bus station in less than ten minutes, YS was already waiting at the entrance with a big smile.

"Sorry to trouble you. I could have telephoned you last night to ask for your help earlier. My daughters always advised me not to do things at the last minute."

"To be honest with you, I changed my mind because God was stirring my heart so that I'd give you a lift. And after all, it isn't far from the campus. I'd feel bad if you have to take a taxi while your colleagues are around."

"The taxi would have cost me RM15 for such a short trip..."

We managed to get a free parking space easily in front of the campus library. As both of us would be free at 4.30pm, YS asked me again if I could send her to Sentral so that she would take a bus back to Tampin. This time, I still said no. But I suggested an alternative to let her follow my car back to my house. Then I would accompany her to the bus stop opposite my residential area which all the buses to Tampin passed by. At first, she was hesitant. Finally she accepted my offer.

This was the first time YS came to my place. After seeing how I made my house a comfortable home, she realized she had been treating hers merely like a hotel to sleep in. She even started to reconsider not to give night tuition anymore so that she could spend more time to rest in her house.

We only waited less than ten minutes before her bus arrived. I was glad to be willing to be led by God's spirit eventually. Not only YS saved time and money, she also experienced God's goodness through my simple act. I give thanks to my Lord who continues to transform me into a better person.

No comments: