Friday, December 18, 2009

Experience As A Single Mother III

When I had Sarah with me, I brought her to my campus and a shopping complex so that she would not feel bored. Having the CCH boys this time, I did not have to crack my head to plan for outings since they seemed to be contented staying in the house as long as they had their PS2 with them. When the evening approached, I tried to move their bodies from the sofa by calling them to prepare the dinner together.

There were chicken and salad left from lunch. So I cooked the chicken again in a pan. David was in charge of frying cabbage with the leftover tomatoes and capsicum. Paul was very keen to prepare a third dish, knowing that I had fish in the freezer. The eldest Isaac and the youngest Daniel were more interested in playing hide-and-seek while I was clearing fallen leaves in the garden. After I found both of them, I returned to my work.

Several minutes later, David came to me and said, "There is a monkey!"

Since I had settled down in this house four years ago, the biggest animals which appeared were cats. Even though there were trees in the garden, I had never seen any tree-climbing creatures. It must be a trick. Nonetheless, I followed David to the backyard and saw this "monkey"

who was so used to climbing the rambutan trees at the Care Home. The rest of the boys then lifted him

to train their muscles and present to me an acrobatic show.

When the nonsense was over, Daniel helped me to water plants while Paul was almost ready to serve his masterpiece.

It was grilled talapia that he had learnt from Fei Gin, the full-time worker who had spent nine years at the Care Home before she resigned last year. As we did not have sambal, he had used tomyam paste instead. The fish had both a nice smell and a good taste.

At the table, my actions and words showed how much I appreciated the little chefs' cooking skill. Seeing that I enjoyed the food, David said to me, "Next time if you've nothing to eat in your house, just come to the Care Home. We'll cook for you to bless you." The previous day, he had also told me, "Before I came here, I thought you lived in a small hut in a village, because everything you have is small--your car, your handbag..."

I was always amused by this lovely boy whose smiles and laughter would melt icebergs.

The next morning, I had to send them to the church by 10.30am as Isaac and Paul were required to help in the decoration for the forthcoming Christmas celebration.

After the breakfast, we had to get ready to leave the house. The garbage store seemed to be Isaac's favorite place

as he had also hidden there while playing hide-and-seek the previous day.

When all my "sons" got into the car, I suddenly felt myself like my Indian next door neighbour who drove her two children to school. The difference was that mine would not be back that day. But I was glad that they looked forward to coming to this house again.

These children, who were sometimes infamous for being too naughty, had behaved very well at my house during these two days. I think that was because we had established a good relationship during the past few months I reached out to them. This latest experience to be with them from sunrise to sunset was even more enriching. Now I was virtually and cheerfully joining the single mothers' club!

No comments: