Thursday, December 31, 2009

Last Sunday Of 2009

On the last Sunday of 2009, the Calvary Care Home (CCH) boys were still having sweet dreams in their bedroom while Albert P was sweatily cleaning the messy kitchen left by them. To comfort him that most guys I knew did not care for cleanliness and tidiness, I told him about my Japanese friend whose bathroom was a nursery for mushrooms and whose rice cooker for fungus. Two hours later, when I wanted to cook rice before we all left for the service at the church, I also discovered some abstract art of leftover rice inside the rice cooker.

David, Matthew and Daniel got into my car to go to Calvary Life Assembly (CLA). They pleaded me to drive slowly, so that we would not reach the church so early. To these children, the Sunday service was like the weekly assembly in school and the sermon was like the principal's long-winded speech.

God must be joking with us. The first two traffic lights were not functioning. As we were on the main road, we had the priority to pass both junctions. So I took this opportunity to tell the boys that our life is like a journey. We need God to tell us when to do or not to do certain things, like the traffic lights to show us when to stop and when to go. Without God, we have to move every step at our own risk. Even though our life might still look successful, a hidden danger can occur suddenly to ruin us.

I also shared with the boys that the more God's children try to run away from Him, the closer He will draw them back to Him, which was my case. Then I prophesied that the following traffic lights would be all green so that we would even reach the church much earlier than expected. True enough, I did not have to brake at all! The boys were amazed at the smooth traffic all the way to CLA. I thanked God for helping me with my "preaching".

In the afternoon, John T who was dealing with a project nearby dropped by at CCH to play table tennis with the boys.

When he was about to leave, somebody telephoned him. Albert who had just come back from outside also received a call. So both men sat on the grass, busy talking with their gadgets in their hands and their cars at their back.

Matthew and Luke came onto the "stage" to pose smartly, making the scene even more manly. Not possessing a car of their own, the background object these two handsome boys were sharing between them was the mop hanging on the fence.

Since there was leftover chicken curry in the fridge for the children's dinner, I planned to go back to my house early to take a rest. I was shifting my bags into my car when Albert said to me, "Can you stay here one more hour? My intention was to celebrate your birthday with the boys." All of them had known about my belated birthday when Wilson who had come back to the Care Home on the Christmas day shouted to me, "Sis, yesterday was your birthday, right? I learnt it on Facebook."

Actually I longed to take a shower and get changed at my place as I had no more clean clothes in my bags. But since it was another occasion for us to have fun like last time with Albert's birthday celebration, I agreed to spare some more time for them. So Albert and Isaac quickly went out again to do some shopping.

More than half an hour later, there were a beautiful chocolate cake to cut, a cheerful birthday song to sing together and a new birthday wish to make in the living room. David had secretly dropped a birthday gift in my car during our outing the previous day, which I had not yet unwrapped.

This time, Albert was the one who marched in, carrying a nice paper bag with a surprise inside. He had got the idea through a conversation with me at Dataran Pahlawan.

All of them left their signatures on the lovely birthday present with a marker. From now onwards, I had a fluffy bear to hug on my bed.

Thanks again, my big and small angels of CCH!

No comments: