Friday, April 10, 2009

Visiting Kit II: A Gardener

A man who was mowing the lawn next door came in and left a bag of new-mown grass for Kit. I poured it onto the ground and stirred it well.

"This will take about six months to turn to organic soil. When I was in Taiwan, someone taught me to do it."

I started to walk around to see his plants. Kit gave a description of each plant.

"The Malays call this 'kasidang'. The small white flowers smell like pandan leaves."

"This is rosemary. If you like it, bring some back to plant in your garden."


"Sure, thanks. Your soil must be very fertile. Your plants are growing so well."

He wheeled towards his garden again to show a six-month-old papaya tree which was already fruiting. Its trunk was as thick as my thighs!

Then, there was another three-month-old papaya tree which was flowering.

"Comparing to these two, the one in my house is suffering from the malnutrition. Kit, you have green fingers!"

"My fingers aren't green." He giggled, looking at his hands.

"Kit, you're so blessed to stay here. Not many people have a chance to grow their own fruits."

"You can take that papaya back. But it has not totally ripen on the tree..."

Kit was still thinking of giving me something else.

No comments: