Wednesday, April 8, 2009

Same God Or Not?

I was updating my blog when KC telephoned to my room.

"Hello, Lee Sah! Would you like to join me for lunch?"

"I've taken mine just half an hour ago."

"Oh, I see. I'm going to the Indian shop. Are you free to accompany me?"

"OK. Give me another ten minutes..."

Last year, I had attempted to share with her my belief of the biblical view of certain things which was the opposite of her faith, but she did not seem to be inspired. After I had read that "but even if our gospel is veiled, it is veiled to those who are perishing, whose minds the god of this age has blinded, who do not believe, lest the light of the gospel of the glory of Christ, who is the image of God, should shine on them. For we do not preach ourselves, but Christ Jesus the Lord, and ourselves your bondservants for Jesus’ sake." (2 Corinthians 4:3-5 NKJV), I was much more relaxed and did not expect to impose my faith on unbelievers anymore. On my way to her room, I just prayed that God would guide me to talk to her in a wise way.

The previous time I went to the same restaurant with KC, I was also already full. I just sat at the shop without consuming anything. This time I planned to at least order a tosai to take away to contribute a little to its business, and so that the shop owner would not find my presence a nuisance.

KC was subscribed to a special Buddhist channel at home. Recently, she had been watching a drama about Buddhists exploring the Western China where some tribes practised another religion.

"When I saw the way they worshipped, I was amazed at their devotion for their god. And they were very committed to their daily prayers and scripture reading. I used to think that only Christians were fervent believers and practitioners."

"Not at all. Just look at me. Two years ago, although I declared myself a Christian, I wasn't even very interested in the Sunday services in church and the Bible study. There were many in our campus who were much more serious about their faith."

"Since they also believe that there is a Creator God, do they believe in the same God as you Christians?"

"I'd say that the same God created all of us, but we don't believe in the same God. Let's say the same father gave birth to two of us. I believe that my father has done A things while you believe that your father has done B things. We still have the same father but we don't believe in the same one. You get what I mean?..."

Later, when I was driving home alone. I was wondering in my heart if my answer to KC's question was appropriate. I remembered many claimed that all the religions actually believed in the same God, but in different ways. Suddenly, the Holy Spirit asked me, "Who is the most precious to Me?"

Without hesitation, I answered, "Jesus."

"Since they don't even believe in My begotten Son, do you think they believe in the same God?"

"Thank You, God. I've got it!"

As soon as I reached home, I sent God's confirmation to KC's cell phone.

No comments: