Friday, April 24, 2009

Melaka: Jonker Walk Night Market

When Ping was in my house, she was the first one to go to bed and the last one to get up. Even after breakfast, she still looked drowsy as if she had been hypnotised. She told me that she had been lack of sleep during her working days in Johor Bahru.

However, when we were outside, she looked dynamic again.

Her revivial came especially when I brought her to "Daiso" at Dataran Pahlawan, a newly-opened outlet which sells imported goods from Japan, where Mum and I spent almost two hours to accompany her to fill her basket with household items for her studio.

Next, we drove to the old town and walked towards the Jonker Walk,

the second place in her "must-go" list.

If they had not come to Melaka, I would have gone for the Good Friday meeting in CLA. Since Ping could hardly visit me here, as a host, I decided to be the driver as well so that I was sure that they reached their destinations without any problem.

When I first started to live in Melaka five years ago, I was very excited to visit the Jonker Walk night market.

All types of toys

and food would have seduced my heart and stomach to buy them.

I also have some nice souvenirs with friends there: Counting down at the last moments of 2006; Chasing after a funny character in ancient traditional costume and some politicians for mandarins a few days before the Chinese New Year 2007.

Now, I only go there with my guests if they do not know this famous street, or if they request the visit.

Ping's happy hours were not yet over. She had the whole evening to shop without having to worry if she would be too sleepy to drive later, for I would be the one in charge of sending them back to Batu Pahat safe and sound.

When she wandered around a shop,

I would patiently sat at a corner to look at stall owners from the back who were probably also contemplating other people when they had no customers.

When she approached a stall,

I would observe individuals at the back scene: An energetic grandfather singing karaoke despite an empty audience;

A lonely grandmother drying her bowls in which she had sold cendols earlier in the afternoon;

A bored promoter expecting customers to enter the Cheng Ho tea house.

I was also amazed at things that I would have never thought existing ten years ago:

Bra stripes which looked like neckties,

and sport shoes which you could carry like handbags.

As we had had heavy lunch, we did not feel hungry. To open our appetites, we bought Indian "wades" and other snacks

before we settled down in a restaurant to take a break and order grated ice

and noodles.

After the dinner, Ping continued to see her decorative items while Mum was more interested in gadgets for massage

and a kind of "hit sweets"

My attention was attracted by a group of line dancers,

the sitting spectators

and another group of young dancers on stage.

It was going to be ten o'clock. We had almost visited the whole night market which was still animated.

I had to focus my mind on the steering for another two hours before I could get a good rest. As long as Mum was happy,

and Ping was happy,

I had no complaint. Knowing that God would send His angels to accompany us during our journey, like He had sent His beloved Son Jesus to die for our sins on the same day about two thousand years ago, I truly rejoyced in His grace.

We were leaving Melaka to head towards Batu Pahat. To some other people, the night had just begun...

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hey nice post there, good photos too. Oh noo..!! Batu Pahat is my home town. Don't forget the cendol, it's way different than the Melaka one. And your guide - http://batupahat.org/

Anonymous said...

Added: I think we have the same common topics which discuss about Melaka life. :)

If you want to blog link exchange, just drop me a comment.

Michan said...

Thanks for your comments again. I'm also from Batu Pahat and currently working in Melaka. I just blog about things happening in my daily life. Nice to have a blog link exchange

Anonymous said...

Okay I added you into my blogroll.

:)