Thursday, February 26, 2009

Salt Of The Earth III

I paid several visits to SA at the end of last year, either alone or with a friend or colleague. Every time, she looked fine when she received us. When I asked her how she was going, she would admit that there were moments she was in deep depression due to all sorts of negative thoughts, which resulted in her sleepless nights. The following mornings, she would feel very sleepy. She was also suffering from a pain in her back which caused her difficulties in walking.

When there were just two of us in the living room, it was easier for me to share with her my own testimonies to our God of hope who filled me with all joy and peace as I trusted in Him (Romans 15:13). I told SA that my confident expectations of good had made me a much more optimistic person.

SA listened without asking me any questions. Sometimes she seemed to understand something and would utter to herself, "I should think more positively."

"Yes. Because you're staying at home, now you spend more time with your husband and children instead of focusing on your job. Because you're absent from work, I think of seeing you more often. Sometimes we're so busy that we don't notice so many wonderful things around us. Now because you're sick, you have an opportunity to slow down and rest. Think of some outings you will go for with your family members when you recover. That's going to give you motivation for fighting against your illness. So, stay strong!"

"Yes, I should stay strong."

"And know that there's a Father in heaven who loves you," I added, with my forefinger pointing upward. "When you're anxious or insomniac, just tell Him, in Jesus' name, to remove all your fears and diseases. He's always listening and waiting for you to go to Him."

I usually stayed around half an hour in her house and prayed for her before leaving. Sometimes I also left a sermon on CD, a testimony on newspaper, a booklet of "the Daily Bread" or CLA magazines that Jagan had asked me to pass to her, hoping that one day she or her family members would be touched by God's grace.

"Thank you. You're a good Christian." She gave this compliment to me at least two times.

If I am good in her eyes, that is all because Jesus in me is good.

No comments: