Friday, February 27, 2009

Salt Of The Earth IV

I had not seen SA for around three months, but I did not forget her in my prayers. I missed a few chances to visit her when I was in town. The two or three times I called her, either she had just arrived home from outside and needed a rest, or she had something to do. I chose to believe that she was really not available to receive me rather than avoiding to listen to my sharing.

From other colleagues who were regularly in touch with SA, I learnt that she had stopped the chemotherapy after a few treatments which were not very effective. The cancer cells from her lungs had spread to other parts of her body.

Last Sunday morning, Jagan reminded me to invite SA to the English service as the guest speaker Mary E. Adams from Alaska was going to give her testimonies, one of which was on the healing of her cancer. When I phoned SA, her voice was energetic but she was reluctant to travel to our church. I told her that if she changed her mind before 11.30am, she could always contact me. I was not disappointed with her response. Even as a believer of Christ, I used to ignore Jagan's numerous invitations to Sunday services or other church events, let alone someone who was of another faith.

Later in the afternoon, Marten's miraculous recovery also bore testimony to our Lord. By faith in the name of Jesus, Marten had been made strong and given healing. God's promise is stated in the Bible (Acts 3:16).

I was very encouraged. I made up my mind to try to visit SA again to give my witness. Monday afternoon, KC happened to call me and talk about SA whose health was deteriorating. When she knew that I had tried to bring SA to church and that I was planing to see SA the next day, she told me in a polite manner, "I think it'd be better not to talk about religions with her in these days."

"KC, In my church, a Sarawakian was also diagnosed with stage 4 of lung cancer like SA. Now he's recovering very well. If I don't tell her what I've heard and seen, I'll regret later."

"I'm sorry for what I said just now."

"Never mind," I answered, "I've heard a lot of testimonies like that." Actually what I was trying to say was that many unbelievers consider Christians' keen sharing of the gospel with them a nuisance.

"How was SA's response to your previous visits?"

"Quite good. I simply told her to think positive and prayed for her. In her case, I suppose she's rather glad to receive blessings through my prayers, isn't she?"

Before I hung up, I felt compelled to tell KC with a gentle voice, "You know, even when we keep rejecting God, God will never reject us."

No comments: