Saturday, February 14, 2009

A Nice Dentist From Iraq

I was having toothache on and off after the fillings of my premolars and molars had cracked more and more. The pain was unbearable especially during the Chinese New Year season, when I drank hot soups and cold soft drinks. Even chewing fruits taken out from the fridge was a torture.

I finally made up my mind to go to the dentist's, which I had delayed since the end of last year. I had been to the government clinics and the private ones. So far, thank God I had not had any nightmarish experiences with dentists.

I drove to the Alor Gajah dental clinic early in the morning on the Monday after my mid-semester break. I did not wait too long before my turn. About one and a half year ago, my previous dentist was a pretty and friendly Chinese lady who later moved to Selangor to set up her own clinic after her marriage. This time, the one on duty was a man with a Middle-East face. So, I decided to speak in English first. His accent in English strengthened my belief that he was a foreigner.

After the check-up, he told me that some of my fillings were to be redone and the molar where I was having most pain needed root canal treatment if I wanted to save my tooth. As this kind of restorative treatment was not available there, he only covered the hole of that molar with temporary filling and advised me to go to a private clinic. Otherwise, an extraction would be the last option. I then fixed another appointment with him for the filling of other teeth.

That Friday evening, I had a cell meeting. At the end, refreshments were served. After I had munched on some extra-hard muruku (an Indian snack), I could feel with the point of my tongue that a part of the temporary filling was missing!

The following Monday morning, I went out for breakfast with Jagan. While I was eating chicken rojak (salad dish), my teeth must have crushed on some bones which broke the filing some more.

The episode did not end there. In the afternoon, I visited my former neighbours to wish them a happy Chinese New Year. While chatting with them and savouring all kinds of cookies and snacks, a big piece of the filling cracked again!

So, most the filing had gone within one week instead of one month which had been predicted by the dentist. But I thank God that the small piece left was big enough to cover the root.

Almost two weeks after the first treatment, I went to the clinic again. The same Dr Hussain received me.

"Good afternoon," he gently said to me after I had greeted him with a smile, "so what's your decision?"

"Good afternoon, Doctor," I answered, "I'd like to keep my tooth, but can you please do another filling for me before I go for the root treatment, because the one that you did last time has already fallen after one week. The miracle is that I didn't feel pain at all."

"Oh, it has already fallen?! No problem, I'll do another one for you. Now I'm going to do the other fillings first. Do you need injection?"

"It's okay. I can stand the pain," While lying on the dentist's chair with my mouth wide open, in my heart I called Jesus to be with me.

Instantly, no fear, no pain.

When there was a pause, I finally asked him the question which I had been keeping since my previous visit.

"Doctor, you don't look like a local. Where do you come from?"

I guess he was not expecting a female patient to ask about his identity. Nonetheless, he answered with a cheerful voice, "I'm a Malaysian!"

I knew he was joking. Indeed, after a few seconds, he added, "I'm from the Middle East."

"I know."

"I come from Iraq, the most dangerous country in the world!"

"Don't say that, Doctor!" How I wished I could tell him that the Eden garden, the place of happiness of innocence that God had created for Adam and Eve, was somewhere in his homeland.

It was not a suitable occasion to talk about the political situation. Thus, I changed the topic.

"Doctor, I think I should change my habit of eating nuts."

"But you don't have many nuts here. In my country, we have all kinds of nuts: hazelnuts, almonds, pistachios...Sometimes, I ask my family to send them to Malaysia."

He did altogether two permanent fillings at the left side and a temporary one at the right ride. It took about more three quarters to accomplish the whole task!

When everything was done, Dr Hussain said to me,"Don't bite with your left teeth within the next twenty-four hours, OK? That's all. Thank you for your patience."

"Thank you very much, Doctor," I was the one grateful for his patience. "And God bless you!"

That was the only present I could give him. He nodded his head with a smile.

Before I left, he reminded me, "Remember, don't eat nuts!"

No comments: