Wednesday, October 27, 2010

A Saturday With Friends I: Hi-Tea At Holiday Inn Melaka

Last Friday night, I talked to Siew Hong on the phone. She was holding some hi-tea vouchers of Holiday Inn. We planned to have a gathering together next month after her children's exams.

The next day she called me back at around 12.30pm.

"What are you doing?"

"I just finished my lunch."

"Really? Why did you eat so early? We went out with Mdm Tsong just now and the hawker centre we wanted to go was close. So we decided to have our meals at Holiday Inn with the vouchers. Come for the second round, then you don't take dinner tonight. Or at least for a drink..."

Sensing that I was not very keen on the impromptu invitation, Siew Hong passed the phone to Mdm Tsong who assured me that they were going to wait for me even though it would take me forty minutes to drive to Bandar Hilir.

Actually I already had the intention to hang out in town that afternoon. So I just tuned my mood to theirs, accepted the treat with a thankful heart, dressed up and set off. About an hour later, I was sitting at a dining table again.

The happiest persons among us were no doubt Siew Hong's three children who did not yet have to worry about the cholesterol or weight problems.

Even though I did not touch the main dishes at all and I only selectively took a portion of the side dishes I loved, namely cheese, sushi, popiah, satay, baked vegetables, pizza, chicken pie, etc, my plate was filled very fast. My hospitable stomach was very glad to receive these international guests...

The greater pleasure to me was of course our fellowship. Since I had first known Siew Hong and Mdm Tsong at Agape Care Centre last year, it was the first time that we three had an occasion to gather together outside for a long chat. While we were having our ladies' talk, the two young gentlemen led their little sister to go to the buffet room several times to bring us drinks, ice-cream and other sweeties.

After two hours, I finally stood up from my seat to get other types of desserts. When I brought back those colourful cakes to share, I realised that besides myself, none of them was very interested to have a bite, not even Siew Hong's children. I began to miss the Calvary Care Home boys who had a sweet tooth like me and who would have immediately grabbed the cakes which were a hundred times more attractive than those I baked.

That afternoon, we stayed until four o'clock. We were not the last guests to leave the hi-tea buffet but we had definitely spent the longest time eating and chatting there.

My following activity? Exercise!

2 comments:

JJ said...

i hope you all enjoy your hi-tea at holiday inn

Michan said...

We enjoyed our fellowship so much that we planned to gather a few more times!