Tuesday, July 27, 2010

Second Visit To Selandar

After my first trip to Selandar early this month, I thought my second visit would be many months later. Last week, Sarma telephoned me, asking me if I could conduct an English class with the Orang Asli children on the following Saturday because Pastor Joseph, their usual teacher, would be away to Kuala Lumpur. Since I would be staying in Melaka, I agreed to help.

This time, our team only consisted of Sarma, Kee Ming and me. Since I commited myself to Calvary Care Home instead of the BM service on Sunday afternoons, I seldom had a chance to chat with this young couple. Thus, I seized this occasion to have some heart talks with them during the journey in their car.

Ps Joseph had already written all the teaching instructions on paper to make our job easy.

The lesson was about "My body". Most of our pupils actually knew the vocabulary quite well.

To make sure they really understood the meaning, we asked them to show their eyes, ears, nose, face, head, etc individually when saying the related word.

We three took turns to be the main teacher.

A boy who wanted to run away from the class was pulled back by Kee Ming to specially pay attention to him.

As there was much time left, Sarma did a short Bible teaching.

As usual, there were some boys who were not serious in class but were embarassed to show their faces when I was taking a photograph of them.

Before the class was dismissed, we sang together to worship the Lord. Kee Ming then annointed each child with oil.

While others were having lunch, Jeeva reminded me that he still remembered the spider face that he had learned from me. He also passed the skill to his friend.

Very soon, another girl was affected by the "spider virus"

and they formed a group for future performances.

I quickly grabbed the two girls over for my own band "Spider Girls".

Would you buy our albums,

join our fan club,

or prefer a South-East Asian version of The Corrs?

Sarma and Kee Ming, the two future pastors, were having fellowship with Bro Johan, the one in charge of the Orang Asli in Asahan,

and Bro Christian who had just arrived from Indonesia one month ago

while I continued to be approached by other little girls who kindly sketched my round face on the white board.

Unlike the previous time, they were no longer shy to pose in front of my camera

and were keen to be photographers themselves.

I liked this second visit to Selandar more than the first one because of the closer contact with the children and of the small service I was able to give. I came back from Selandar feeling rejuvenated again.

No comments: