Thursday, July 29, 2010

Indonesian Home Cooked Meal At My Place

Last Saturday, as Bro Christian had to stay in the centre, he could not join us for lunch outside. We decided to leave Selandar early. So I invited Sarma and Kee Ming to drop by at my house. On the way, Sarma who had grown up in Indonesia recognized tapioca leaves at the roadside. I was also familiar these edible leaves because of VC. We made a U-turn and got down from the car. Sarma chose the fresh ones and plucked a big bunch of them.

When we arrived at my house, Sarma immediately offered help in the kitchen. After I took out a fish, eggs and vegetables from the fridge, I let her be the chef and happily played my role as her assistant. She was going to cook Indonesian dishes with the limited ingredients and spices.

I had bought a mortar and pestle about two or three years ago and hardly used it. My guests who became cooks in my house were the ones who usually made use of it. Interestingly, tapioca leaves were the things that were most often crushed in this mortar.

For the first time, sambal smell was released from my kitchen. After less than an hour, the rice and the accompanying dishes were ready. At about four o'clock in the afternoon, we were finally seated at the table to have our lunch together.

Kee Ming was the hungriest among us. But he only wanted little rice on the first serving. So he passed some of it to his wife's plate. I scooped a lot in my plate to share with Sarma but she who had a small appetite did not accept it. I them took a picture of them and forgot to pour some of my rice back to the rice cooker. After I started eating, I realised it was too much for me.

The sambal was so appetising that my guests themselves could not resist the second serving of rice to eat with the salad, two cooking versions of tapioca leaves and fried fish. And I also emptied my plate despite my weight losing programme!

I had longed for this small gathering with Sarma and Kee Ming since I knew them at the end of 2008. Having friends with me in my home sweet home is always one of the most wonderful moments in my life.

No comments: