Friday, July 30, 2010

All-American Boys Chorus At Calvary Life Assembly

In the evening with the Australian Boys Choir and the Kelly Gang, the audience was informed that there would be another concert at the end of this month to raise fund for the Wings Melaka, a non-profit organisation that runs the Early Intervention Programme (EIP) and the School Age Programme (SAP). Malacca Christianity and Culture Research Centre (MCCRC), the organiser, was going to bring in the All-American Boys Chorus.

This time, the venue was Calvary Life Assembly (CLA). Two Sundays ago before church service, I was approached by Irwne to help selling the tickets priced at RM40 each. Then my name appeared in the screen during the announcement, which confirmed my status as an official "saleslady".

I was planning to attend this concert myself. Among the Calvary Care Home (CCH) children, only David expressed to me his desire to see the Chorus. So I decided to sponsor him. Tuesday, I learned the good news that all of them would be given free admission. That night, I suddenly thought of Emmy and Felix who, I supposed, should appreciate this kind of cultural activity. Wednesday morning, I quickly contacted them and immediately received positive response that they would be free and were willing to financially support this charity event.

As Emmy and Felix did not know the location of CLA, I suggested that we met at a nearby petrol station yesterday. Due to miscommunication, they were not able to find the place at the appointed time. Thank God we managed to arrive at the church before 8pm. Many front seats were already occupied, so they sat at the back in the middle. Luke was keeping a row on the right available for the CCH gang. So I invited the Cuban couple to join us. After we moved, we realised that Emmy's friend Rani whom I had also encountered during the 10th International Convention of Melaka Twin Cities was sitting right in front of us. What a small world!

The programme started with Pastor James' welcome speech and opening prayer. It was followed by Andrew T.S. Goh and then Dr Lim Boon Hock's respective speech and presentation on MCCRC and Wings.

The long awaited All-American Boys Chorus cheered up the stage with their chili-red coats,

trained voices

and lively gestures.

I did not know most of the titles of Act 1 they presented. For this Asia tour, they had specially prepared late Teresa Teng's "Moon Represents My Heart" which pleased all the Chinese audience very much. These young choristers aged from 8 to 15 must have put a lot of effort in the pronunciation and the memorisation of the lyrics in Mandarin.

The CCH team was in charge of a stall to sell refreshments during the intermission. Actually the boys had already been on duty together with George to serve those who had arrived at CLA from outstation in the afternoon. Albert P who came later took over the cashier's job. Joshua who worked at the night shift was also giving a hand.

I asked Paul to photograph us as a group. When he passed my camera back to me, I only saw two "trees" instead of the whole "forest" in the picture. And the two other "trees" had been "chopped" in half...

The CCH boys had to follow Joshua back after clearing the stalls as they needed to get up early for school this morning. Albert who was tired and not very interested in the concert also left with his foster son. I returned to the sanctuary to sit on an empty chair next to Felix to continue to enjoy the live performances. It was a pity that I had missed the first five songs of the second act.

Felix was very excited to tell me the titles he was familiar with. He and Emmy always applauded loudly after every song.

Once he even stood up alone clapping! Emmy and I also rose from our chairs to to join in to show how much we had loved the performance.

A blond-haired chorister moved his body outstandingly from the beginning to the end. By simply looking at his shadow, I knew he would be a remarkable future candidate for the American Idol!

The programme was over after two hours. As a tradition, the choristers came down from the stage to shake hands with the audience. Felix was one of those who did not hesitate to give compliments to these boys from California.

I am very glad that my Cuban friends enjoyed the show and I thank God for His blessing and the wonderful companions He had sent to be with me yesterday evening.

No comments: