Monday, July 5, 2010

Australian Boys Choir & Kelly Gang In St Peter's Church

I had planned to go back to my hometown last Friday and at first had not said "yes" to several activities which would be going on last weekend, until Piek See blessed me with a RM80 entrance ticket to the Australian Boys Choir and the Kelly Gang Charity Concert to reward my occasional humble service in the BOM and MLM classes.

So Friday evening, I drove to St Peter's church which was located in town. Majority of the people who had turned up at this fundraising event were graduates from mission schools. I also saw same familiar faces that I had known at Calvary Life Assembly, Agape Care Centre and my leadership class.

When the Australian boys came onto the stage, I recalled that this Oceanic country was getting multiracial as there were descendants of Asian immigrants among the those with blond hair and sharp nose.

The conductor Noel Ancell gave an explanation of the song before each performance. The boy sopranos presented both sacred songs and secular songs with their unchanged voices. They reminded me of my 11-year-old nephew Zer Yih. When he answers my phone, sometimes I take him for his 8-year-old sister Zer Nin.

The little choristers' "big brothers", the Kelly Gang, were mostly former senior members of the boys choir before they broke their voices. Personally, I preferred the more mature and technically skilled vocals by these boys of secondary-school age.

The Choir and the Gang also sang together to present wonderful chorales and Australian folk songs. In this Singapore/Malaysia tour, they specially performed the famous Indonesian hymn "Bengawan Solo" during the encore, after which the audience responded warmly with a standing ovation.

My ticket had allowed me to take a front seat. As a result, I could appreciate the live concert visually and acoustically from a near distance. It was much greater than listening to a CD with the same songs. And I was glad to have decided to stay back in Melaka as I would not get this kind of cultural exposure in a city like Batu Pahat.

No comments: