Wednesday, November 25, 2009

Getting Ready For The Spiritual War

Two weekends ago, I went back to Batu Pahat for two events: One was my former secondary school Chinese High School alumni dinner. Another was my former classmate Loke's wedding lunch the next day. During two days, I was well fed with eight-course meals by Chinese restaurants. But what really satisfied me was the spiritual food I had received that Sunday morning at Berean church.

Previously I had attended their services three times. Each time, there happened to be a guest speaker whose sermon about giving or parenting deeply touched my heart. This time because of Ps Ruth's absence, Ps Lydia from Peace church, Kluang was the one who preached.

To the Bereanese, Ps Lydia in her red blouse that day was a familiar figure. I only knew who she was when she introduced her background: Her late husband was Ps Sunther, whose name I had heard at Calvary Life Assembly and during a MLM class last year after he had gone to be with the Lord.

Ps Lydia shared with us how she managed to pull herself together after the sudden passing of her spouse and the following deaths of her other beloved family members and relatives within fourteen months. God revealed to her that it was He who had allowed these things to happen. Ps Lydia did not blame God. Instead, she trusted Jesus who had replaced Ps Sunther as her husband to totally depend on.

During the long mourning period, Ps Lydia still ran the activities of the Chinese service of Peace church, of which she had always been in charge, and at the same time took over Ps Sunther's English service. After witnessing God's work in her life, she walked out of her grief to continue to serve the Lord in a high spirit.

As the second coming of Jesus is approaching, it is urgent for God's people to fight against the army sent by Satan. Ps Lydia used Deuteronomy 20 to remind us to check whether we were prepared to fight against Satan's army.

We will not be allowed to go to the battle field and will later receive no reward from God if
1. we have not committed ourselves to God. (We have not dedicated our house to God.)

2. we do not produce the fruit of the Spirit. (Our vineyard has not produced fruit.)

3. we have not made ourselves ready to be Jesus' bride. (We do not fulfill the promise of marriage.)

4. we lack of faith. (We are fearful and fainthearted.)

I was greatly encouraged by Ps Lydia's personal testimony and her passion to do God's will despite all the tribulations she had gone through.

I'm checking myself to be ready for the spiritual war. How about you, my brothers and sisters in Christ?

No comments: