Saturday, November 14, 2009

Doulos Team At My House I

Early last month, I heard from Ps Rebekah that a Doulos team would come to Calvary Life Assembly (CLA) to run some activities during a service at the children's church. Later, I learned that they would stay in Melaka for about two weeks. Two Sundays ago, while I was on duty as a befriender, Ps Angeline asked me if I could be one of those who would bring the four Doulos girls for a tour in Melaka on a Monday. At first I thought I would be available. When I remembered I had to invigilate an examination that Monday and submit my students' final results as soon as possible during this exam period, I withdrew myself.

During the outing last Friday, the Calvary Care Home boys also talked about the Doulos girls who had visited them and were going to play games with them the next day. Sunday morning, I finally saw these young ladies aged between 18 and 26 introducing themselves on the stage and performing a very meaningful short drama.

After the service, I walked past the table where the four girls were having lunch with Irwin's company at the canteen. I simply smiled and said hi to them. Irwin immediately made the publicity of my ability to speak French. Salome, a German, who had taken a five-year French intensive course in school was very interested with my profile. So both of us began to converse in French while the three other girls continued to chat with Irwin. Later, we simply said goodbye to each other, not expecting to meet again.

During the BM service, I thought of these friendly girls again. An idea suddenly flashed into my mind, "Why don't I invite them for dinner at my place? They can even put up there since I have two available bedrooms. I'll send them back the next morning."

The thought became stronger and stronger. After the service, I happened to see Ps Angeline's daughter coming out from the main sanctuary after her drama practice for the coming drama. I asked her to tell Ps Angeline to contact me if she agreed with my suggestion, so that we could fix an appointment to fetch the girls, preferably on Thursday.

Next, I followed Sarma to the staff office inside which the girls were resting at the guest room. Etna, a sweet Mexican with curly hair, came out after we had knocked the door. I told her about my invitation. She was going to discuss with her friends, check their schedule and get CLA's permission.

Tuesday morning, Ps Angeline telephoned me to approuve my proposal. I told her I would pick the girls at CLA at around 6pm.

"Are you going to bring them somewhere?"

"I plan to let them just hang around at my house. I'll cook for them."

"Do you have time to cook?"

"Now I know they're coming, I'll prepare the food early."

My voice was full of excitement, as if I was the one invited. I felt so blessed to be able to show some hospitality to these foreigners, like what Toitot's family had kindly done to me when I was in France.

I knew people around them must have been making them taste a lot of Malaysian specialities during this half a month. The CCH boys also told me that the Doulos girls liked spicy food. During my first encounter with Salome that day, I had learned that she was a vegetarian. So, I planned the dishes, taking all these into consideration.

Wednesday evening, I began my preparations. By Thursday morning before leaving the house, everything was almost ready.

What was I going to offer my Western guests for dinner?

Twelve hours later, when Essie, Salome, Tracy and Etna's eyes were shining in front of the homemade pizza, potato-egg-celery salad, apple crumble, sparkling grape juice, forks and knives, I knew my Western menu had aroused their home nostalgia.

No comments: