Monday, April 5, 2010

Agape Musical Concert At Holiday Inn Hotel Melaka

Three weeks ago, when I was at Agape Care Centre (ACC), Siew Hong asked me if I would be free the following Friday night. She was holding free tickets of RM50 to a musical concert at Holiday Inn Melaka purchased and given by the ACC chairwoman Caroline to support Agape Counselling Centre Malacca, another Christian-based organization, through this fundraising event. Since the Lisbon Chamber Choir last July, I had not attended any concerts outside my church. So I accepted the invitation with pleasure.

26 March morning, Siew Hong telephoned me. This time, she had ten tickets to give away. Knowing that I was serving at Calvary Care Home (CCH), she thoughtfully gave priority to my "children" before making other arrangements. But she herself decided not to go due to her commitment to her bible study class in her church. As the concert would be held in less than ten hours, I quickly contacted Albert P who confirmed their attendance. The night-shift guardian Mohan would also be going. So he would be transporting the CCH boys by van. Only Matthew could not join us because of his tuition.

When I reached ACC later, Siew Hong told me there were three more tickets. I immediately thought of the Taiwanese lady SC and her daughter whom I had met the previous week during my first home visitation with SH. I volunteered to pick them since their place was not far from ACC and was on my way to Holiday Inn. Siew Hong had a better idea. She suggested that SC would invite her husband as well, who usually left them after dinner. At about 3pm, SC called back and brought us the good news that her husband had agreed to spare the time for them.

So my task was to pass the tickets to this family of three at the hotel entrance ten minutes before the concert. Then I waited another five minutes for my CCH "family members" who arrived on time and with whom I sat in the same row.

The chairman of the fundraising committee gave an opening speech to introduce Agape Counselling Centre Malacca which had been founded in 1996 with the aim of helping those with special psychological needs.

All the artists were locals, most of whom had been trained overseas and were now blessing Malaysia with their talents in playing the piano,

erhu (Chinese two-string fiddle), harmonica,

huqin (another Chinese string instrument),

in dancing, singing solo

or singing in choir.

The performances varied from Chopin's pieces to Chinese minorities' folk songs. Grown up in Chinese schools and later exposed to Western classical music by a Taiwanese friend of mine in France, I fully enjoyed the whole concert.

I left the concert hall satisfied. But my joy came from the fact that at least one CCH boy John who loved music had appreciated this occasion and that SC and her daughter would have a memory of these few nice hours spent with the man they still loved. Caroline's simple act of supporting a ministry in the beginning had turned out to be wonderful blessings.

1 comment:

albert peh said...

I love chinese folk songs