Wednesday, April 21, 2010

10th International Convention Of Melaka Twin Cities III

That Tuesday morning, KC told us that she was not going to be around at the hotel that night because she had an evening class to teach at the city campus. As a vegetarian, she would also not miss the grand meal which would be composed of mostly meaty dishes. Therefore, she had dressed up in kebaya instead of office clothes to work since she would not have the occasion to wear it later.

During lunch, she suggested that I invited someone to attend the dinner on her behalf with her invitation card. As Albert P was the first person who had telephoned me that day and to whom I had returned a call later to discuss Paul's cheating case, I naturally thought of this Calvary Care Home (CCH) administrator in his batik shirts in several events held in hotels. However, having experience with this CCH colleague who sometimes changed his mind faster than a model who changes her clothes at fashion shows, I already made backup plans even before I dialled his number.

"Hi, Albert! It's me again. I've got an offer for you or a favour from you."

"Is it a trip to France? Haaaaa..." Even if he accepted a free air ticket to travel, the eve of the departure he might still suddenly cancel his plan to board the flight.

I explained the situation to him. He gave me a positive answer by assuring me that he was going to iron his batik shirt.

"In case you change your mind, can you please find somebody else to replace you?..."

My concern about his tendency to make indefinite decisions was not in vain. True enough, he texted me fifteen minutes later to inform me that he had decided not to go and that Annie agreed to be the replacement. I immediately switched to my plan B and got in touch with this sister in Christ whom I had also befriended at CCH. Worrying that she might have the transport problem and other unexpected reasons which I could not help, I had to be frank with her.

"If you can't go, I've a friend who might be interested." I had no way to contact VC whose hand phone had been out of battery for a few days. So, my blog friend Vince who liked western food was my plan C. But I was not sure if he had any traditional costume to wear for this formal dinner.

To cut the story short, after numerous SMS and phone calls until until my fingers were tired and my throat was dry, Sis Annie finally confirmed to join me at this official dinner of the convention in the ballroom of Equatorial Hotel.

She appeared in her nice blue baju kurung. I had put on for the first time the Vietnamese tailor-made cheongsam which my Taiwanese friend YC had sent to me by post as a present two years ago. Emmy in her beautiful black dress and jewellery came with her husband who was wearing a silky shirt. We were directed to be seated at a table next to the members of media.

When I asked Emmy to repeat her husband's name which I did not hear clearly, she answered, "Felix, like the animal." She was referring to the famous animated character. It was the number one association with this name. Somehow after leaving our kandang that morning, I did not expect to encounter a new member of the same species suitable to be kept in a cage!

Felix had heard from Emmy about my liking for lasagna and her plan to let me taste this Italian speciality which she could also prepare. With his thumb up and his shining big round eyes like Felix the Cat, he said to me, "She cooks very well." When the husband gave such a compliment, I had zero doubt about the wife's culinary skill.

Emmy and Sis Annie very soon had topics in common, especially when they heard the same oldies performed by artists on the stage. Felix, who was less of a chatterbox, sometimes stood up to talk to his acquaintances at other tables. As a club member of Equatorial Hotel, he even knew the manager as well as the chef.

Sis Annie was all smiles. "No regrets..." Before we started eating, she already sent an SMS to express her satisfaction with the food, the company and the atmosphere to her daughter Adrienne who was working a night shift. I then reminded her to thank Albert for having transferred the blessing to her.

I had almost forgot that only local cuisine would be served at an official function like this. When I saw the dishes, I realized that Sis Annie was the best candidate to replace KC since she had no problem eating all kinds of meat and seafood. I felt that God was asking me, "No regrets about persuading her hard to come, right?"

We enjoyed both the meal and the performances. The delegate of Japan who had given the longest presentation during the close door meeting in the morning was again eager to give the best of him by volunteering to sing two songs in Malay.

Appreciating this wonderful moment where people from different cities and countries were gathered in Melaka, the gateway of Christianity in Malaysia, I said to Sis Annie, "It would be great if all of us would sing together to praise the Lord."

2 comments:

albert peh said...

"Having experience with this CCH colleague who sometimes changed his mind faster than a model who changes her clothes at fashion shows". I must remember this. I must learn fast to make definite decisions. Thaks a lot Lee Sah for helping me to be a better person each day. You are a true friend indeed.

Michan said...

Thanks, Albert. I've been learning a lot from you too. May we continue to be a blessing to each other.