Wednesday, July 16, 2008

Besançon: Three Little Treasures

At my first gathering with Eiat and I-Chen, Eiat's eldest daughter Faa was not yet back from school. Eiat showed me Faa's pictures in her lovely bedroom. I followed Eiat to pick her second child Téshint, almost five, from the kindergarten just in front of their residential building. And we had to bring along her two-and-a-half-year-old son Rachcha, in his push-chair.

When I called Eiat to ask her if I could spend two nights in her apartment before our dinner in town, I was worried to disturb her already busy single-mother daily life with the children and housework. Later I realized my presence actually ease her burden: When she travelled with the bus to sent or fetch Faa, she could leave the boys (at least Téshint, for Rachcha might reclaim his mother's company) with me. When all the children were around, I could look after them by giving them snacks and showing them a cartoon with the video player, so that Eiat could go out alone to buy her groceries. And the fact that I enjoyed washing dishes could give more rest to Eiat who hated to do it. The mountain of dirty dishes in the sink were turned to the clean ones long before she needed them again.

The children of mixed Thai-Vietnamese-French blood had inherited the good physical appearance from both parents. The baby girl I knew six years ago had grown up to be a sweet little princess. She had the drawing talent of her father, to whom she was very much attached.

Téshint was a sensitive child and he articulated all his words. With him, I learned to talk slowly. During our dinner with Eiat and I-Chen, he told us with a serious look,"We must not leave the table without permission." After less than ten minutes, he was the first one to lose the patience to finish his food and leave his seat without notice! That really amused me.

Rachcha could only imitate and utter simple words that he heard from us. But his sunny smiles spoke more than his words.

Similar to Jui-Chu's case, the children were Eiat's only motivation to continue her life in France. I sincerely hoped that one day she would be reconciled with their father who still loved them very much.

Before my visit, Eiat's three little treasures were new faces to me and vice versa. But having spent a few days with these adorable children, I did not bear to say goodbye to them. See you again, in France or Thailand or Malaysia!

No comments: