Monday, July 7, 2008

Besançon: City Centre

Ernest had to attend a meeting in Besançon on Wednesday. I seized the chance to go with him. He dropped me at the Battant area, near the city centre where I was planing to spend the whole day idling alone.

This was the first time I crossed the Battant bridge since I had come back to Besançon. The city council had decorated the bridge with pots of leaves and flowers. The Doubs river was still flowing its own story.

The morning sky was not very bright. Only few people were walking on the Grande street. The temperature was below the spring average. Some of the passers-by were still wearing winter coats.

or waiting for the bus at the Sainte Pierre square, which was supposed to be the busiest bus stop in Besançon.

During the last two years of my stay as a student, I used to walk past the Granvelle square to go to my university.

Before Christmas, stalls would be set under the trees to promote all kinds of local products. Now the ground looked quite empty.

I would vote this Brasserie 1802 one of the most beautiful corners in Besançon.

I was a student of the Faculty of Arts of the University of Franche-Comté between 1998 and 2002. I used to attend some lectures or classes in the Mégevand street.

The final exams must have been just over. The whole city campus was quiet. Even the workers seemed to be on leave.

In another court, I finally found someone talking under the big tree.

I entered the building. On the wall beside the staircase there were plenty of notices, posters and advertisements. If you are looking for second hand text books or a room in an apartment, that is where you should come.

Since most of my former lecturers were absent or had retired, I did not feel like staying on the campus too long. After all, I did not really miss those boring study days in that dull building.

In the early afternoon, when I returned to Grande street, there was more life everywhere. People were queuing up to buy their sandwiches.

Ladies in singlets were having their coffee.

And buses came one after another to pick up passengers.

That was the contrast between the gloomy and the sunny Besançon.

No comments: