Monday, July 6, 2009

Japan: Touring 100-Yen Shops

Ping who lived in Johor Bahru was the first one to tell me about "Daiso" in Melaka last April.

If three years ago, I just settled down in the new house, I would have got very excited to shop for household items. Now, the opening of this store where goods were imported from Japan and mostly sold at RM5 each would not motivate me to drive more often to Bandar Hilir.

But Ping whose studio was already crowded with decorative items still spent a lot of time and money during her first visit there. I thought after that trip she should be satisfied with this outlet.

Before our departure to Japan, Ping handed over a list to us, asking us to do the shopping on her behalf. Since I was not keen, Mum passed it to Ah Yu later, who fixed it on the refrigerator with a magnet. When we went out for meals, he would arrange a stop at a "Daiso" outlet.

This largest franchise of 100-yen shops had more than two thousand stores in whole Japan. So we easily found several outlets in and around the city of Moriya.

At first I helped to search for items which Ping could not find at "Daiso" Melaka. I started to get bored with exporing one "Daiso" after another while Ah Yu was still trying his best to fulfill Ping's request.

When we met her at Skype, she would ask, "How is the preparation of my list?" which made us smile, thinking of ourselves as servants of a shopping addict sister.

For her sake, we also went to a 100-yen store "Seria" owned by another company. Next to it was a 1000-yen shop which had been closed down.

There I finally found treasures for myself: rice bowls.

So, next time if you come to my house for a meal with rice, you will have a choice among my Chinese plastic bowls, Dumex ceramic bowls and Japanese 100-yen bowls.

No comments: