Friday, June 20, 2008

Neuves-Granges: Paradise On Earth

Had I not met Ernest and Nicole in April 1995, I would have never discovered this small paradise on earth:

When Ernest's late father bought the land some forty years ago, there was only a barn on it. After Ernest had inherited it from the family, he slowly transformed the uninhabitable place into a magnificent house, mainly with the help of a Turkish worker Osman. I always admire multi-talented people. Ernest is no doubt one of them.

A few years after I left France in 2002, their youngest son David, who earlier had taken over Ernest's fur and leather coats shop, decided to stop the business which had dim prospects due to Brigitte Bardot's campaign on welfare and protection of animals. He sold off the shop and brought back to Ernest's country house certain memorable objects to keep as souvenirs, eg. the mirror on which was printed the image of a fur craftsman in ancient times. It was even more saddening to see it half broken.

As soon as the door was opened,

and I stepped into the house

the whole place greeted me, "welcome home!"

It brought me back to thirteen years ago, when I had first entered this house which embraced me with the same warm welcome.

"Lee Sah, you're in our home and in your home. Put on these Chinese slippers. I specially bought for you." said Ernest.

"Last time when you left, we didn't say to you 'adieu' (goodbye forever), but 'au revoir' (see you again). Here you are back!" added Nicole.

"Actually I've the impression that I've never left here."

"We have the same feeling too, like you've always been here. Just leave your things in the guest room downstairs and dinner will be ready soon."

"But I used to sleep on those beds upstairs..."

"Before you came, Nicole spent time cleaning here and there in the house. And she had prepared that room for you. It'll be more convenient for you to sleep there since the shower and toilet are inside."

"Okay then, thank you."

With my luggage in hands, I walked past the kitchen,

the sitting room, the fireplace, the dining hall and the master room,

towards the staircase.

I could sense that it was even colder downstairs. But once I opened the door of my room on the left,

Yellowish-pink walls immediately warmed me up!

I was going to spend most of my sleeping time in this bed for the coming three weeks. How nice!

No comments: