Thursday, June 26, 2008

Besançon: Pépère's Present Residence

Pépère used to tell me, "Every day, I pray Lord to bring me with Him, so that I'll also see Mémère again."

Pépère must be missing his wife very badly. After the children had grown up and started their own family, Pépère and Mémère had been accompanying each other in the old house until she died of illness a few years before I had first arrived in France. So I only knew her in pictures.

Although the Toitot and Chèvre families always spent time with him by having meals with him or inviting him to their houses, Pépère still felt lonely, especially after the crowd had left and that he was condemned to be alone again in his own house.

Nicole and Danielle at first failed to persuade Pépère to live with them as Pépère was too attached to the house, where he had injected his adulthood and family life for more than half a century. When Pépère's body grew weaker at the age of late eighties, he finally agreed with Danielle's suggestion to take care of him in Danne-Marie-sur-Crète, though not bearing to quit the house.

Two years ago, when I lost my father, Nicole and Danielle had also lost theirs.

Pépère's new residence, still in St Ferjeux, was only two roads away from his previous one.

Now, not only Pépère was staying with his beloved Mémère again, he had also reunited with his siblings.

And they had a very nice neighbourhood. The magnificent basilica was just opposite.

If you looked at the surroundings, you would think it was a beautiful garden.

I paid my respect to Pépère who was lying forever under the tombstone. This man of strong faith in Christ had devoted his whole life in loving and service people, regardless their relationship. I would never forget his sympathetic eyes.

Rest in peace, Pépère.

No comments: