Wednesday, June 11, 2008

A Group Of Good Samaritans II

I still had a second worry--Dragging my luggage and running after the RER in Roissy and the train in Paris were quite tiring. And I was not sure to catch the early afternoon train. Since the group appeared in front of me, I bravely made my second request.

"How are you going back to Besançon?"

"By bus. Normally Our driver will be waiting for us at the airport."

I seized the opportunity, "May I travel to Besançon with you? I'm willing to pay the bus fare."

"I think there shouldn't be any problem." one said.

"You know, we're only twenty-five people and our bus can accommodate forty. There will be a lot of free seats. You're welcome to join us." another added.

"The only worry is that we're all bound to a travel agency, so we are all insured. If any accident happens on our way back and since you aren't insured, it might cause trouble to the driver. Otherwise, we have no objection to letting you join us." another was more careful with the promise.

"We aren't sure if the driver alone could decide whether to take you or not. Anyway we'll try to persuade him." the fourth comment also could not give me 100% assurance.

"I understand the road safety ruling in France is very strict. Anyway, if I can join you, I'd be very glad. If I can't, never mind. I'll just take the train." I was still very grateful to them for being so friendly to me.

Later during our chat before we had board the plane, I learned that they had just made a trip to Thailand before flying back to France with a long transit in Bahrain like me. And the hotel accommodation they had been offered by Gulf Air had not been as nice as mine in terms of location and hygiene. Of course, they had not experienced the hospitality in Manama like I had thanks to Alex!

Our airbus was only half occupied. I sat alone near the window, next to the left wing of the plane. On my right was an empty seat. Most of those Besançonese were scattered at my back. I spoke to nobody else, but God.

"Lord, I thank you for making my journey very smooth so far. If that's Your will, I would like to join these Besançonese back with their bus, which would save my cost and trouble of running between the RER station and the railway station. But if You think I should take the transports all by myself to recall some old memories, I'd be still glad to accept it and thank these people for their kindness."

At almost 1pm, we landed in Paris. I found my new friends back while presenting our passport at the custom and getting back our luggage. Mr Bonnefoux continued chatting with me, and a lady teased him, "Later you can tell the driver that you've just adopted a daughter and would like to bring her back to Besançon."

When we stepped into the arrival hall, their bus driver was already waiting. Mr Bonnefoux quickly walked towards the driver and briefly explained my situation. The driver said something in return but as I was a bit far from them, I could not know the answer. I approached them, with my heart beating fast due to uncertainty.

"Sir, may I join you to Besançon?"

"There is no problem with me." He assured me with a smile.

"Really, I thank you very much." I was completely relieved. God had approved my request!

Mr Bonnefoux gave me further explanation,"Two of our members have decided to stay in Paris instead of going back to Besançon with us. So we have two available passengers seats which are insured in the driver's list. That's why your participation won't cause him any trouble."

The whole group was happy for me. I felt so blessed.

I asked Mr Basso if he could send SMS the Toitots on my behalf. He generously passed his mobile phone to me and encouraged me to make a call.

"Hello, Néness! This is Lee Sah. How are you?"

"Oh, Lee Sah. Where are you now?" I had not heard their voice on the phone for more than five years.

"I'm still at the airport. My flight was delayed. I've met a group of Besançonese and I'm to join them to travel back to Besançon by bus. The journey will take about five hours. If it doesn't trouble you, please wait for me at the parking of the Parqueon factory near the ice-skating centre at Planoise from 6pm onwards."

"Really? Okay. We're going to wait for you there at 6pm."

The chance of meeting someone from Besançon in Bahrain was small. The possibility of having a group of Besançonese sitting next to me, and taking the same flight was even tinier. But I made it and got the direct trip from the airport to Besançon!! That was so incredible.

All my transport and communication problems were settled thanks to this group of good Samaritans! Wasn't God's arrangement more than perfect?

No comments: