Tuesday, August 3, 2010

Voters Registration In Melaka At Dataran Pahlawan

During the EFC Leadership Summit last April, I had a briefing of the voters registration at the E.P.I.C (Extraordinary People Impacting Community) booth and learned that this group of young people were looking for franchise in Melaka. On 6th July, Pastor Thomas Fann from Johor Bahru came to City Community Church to speak about the importance of the voters registration. The next day, my MLM classmate Dr Wong asked me what I could contribute to this nationwide movement in response to the talk. I promised to help at the booth if I would be around in Melaka during one of the weekends.

Two weeks later, Dr Wong informed me that the voters registration would be started off on Sunday 1st August 5-10pm at Dataran Pahlawan. I immediately confirmed my participation as a volunteer and "applied for my leave" from Calvary Care Home (CCH) for that afternoon.

Last Sunday at about 3pm, I received an SMS from Dr Wong to remind the volunteers to wear black attire. I was already in town, wearing a purple blouse and dark blue jeans. I had prepared a white E.P.I.C T-shirt to change later. In my car, I actually had a black coat and a faded black home T-shirt-pyjama which I had brought back to wash in Batu Pahat. To follow the dress code without looking too formal, I decided to put on the latter.

As I was reaching Dataran Pahwalan, I prayed, "Jesus, today the traffic must be heavy. Now I come here to do Your will, so let me find a nearby parking space easily. I don't want to park in the underground..." Within less than a minute, a car which was at the first parking space right after the main entrance was moving away! I quickly occupied the empty space. And more amazingly, another vehicle in front also left! So I had even two available spaces for me to choose. God is good!

The management of the shopping mall had kindly provided us with a space, tables and chairs for free in front of Starbucks Coffee by 4.30pm. All we needed to do was to place our banners, wear our batches, get everything ready on the tables, wait for the SPR (Election Commission Malaysia) officers to arrive with the forms and begin to get eligible voters, who had not yet registered, to come to our booth.


Dr Wong had thought that he might not be able to get minimal four volunteers, either Christians or not. When one after another turned up, we were quite a big bunch to be present there. Seeing that there were more than enough manpower, I happily announced in advance my "retirement" so that I could still serve at CCH on coming Sunday afternoons.

As the management had required us to be discreet, we could not act as if we were selling goods at a night market by raising our voice to attract the crowd. Most shoppers were not aware of our activity, so we had to promote our "brand--Voice Your Choice" and "product--voters registration". At first, I just held the two papers and showed my smiling face in front of the booth.

Once awhile, another volunteer accompanied me to walk a small round with the papers. After awhile, I realised that in addition to merely displaying my teeth, it was necessary to communicate verbally, which would be more effective. I thank God for making me someone who is not shy to approach people. After I opened my mouth to talk to "potential customers", I managed to get a few of them to either register or check their status as voters.

I had woken up early in the morning in Batu Pahat to attend two church services in Melaka and did not get a rest since. After more than two hours, my feet were tired and I began to feel sleepy. I could easily doze off even in a standing position! So I walked to the table and sat down to help fill in the forms. When the night fell, a few volunteers had to leave. Before nine o'clock, I resumed my job as a "promoter" for less than half an hour and then also said goodbye to the rest of my working partners who dutifully stayed until the closing of the booth.

In case next time you notice me in black smiling at you in a shopping mall in Melaka, I assure you that I will not push you to sign up for any credit cards. I am just a non-partisan volunteer for SPR asking you, "Have you registered to vote?"

1 comment:

EPIC said...

Hey !! AMAZING write up ! We have linked your article to our website. Keep up the good work over there.

http://dosomethingepic.net/blog/voters-registration-melaka