Monday, August 2, 2010

Listening To Preacher-Gospel Singer Henry Chang Han Lin

Last Saturday, when I telephoned Siew Hong from Batu Pahat to chat with her, she invited me to attend the Chinese service in her church on Sunday at 9am because there would be a special guest speaker Reverend Henry Chang Han Lin who had won the Singapore nationwide singing competition some twenty years ago. As a Johorian, I had grown up with Singapore's Channel 8. But I was then too young to remember his name and face. Since the City Community Church (CCC) was on my way back to Melaka for the English service at Calvary Life Assembly (CLA) at 10.30am, I was keen to go.

The next day, I arrived at CCC after less than two hours' driving. When the service started, Siew Hong was wondering why Ps Chang did not lead the worship. When he was introduced on the stage to sing his first song solo, I believed he had wanted to keep his performances as a surprise for the congregation until then.

Between songs, Ps Chang, in his forties, gave us a short account of his career from a professional pop singer under Singapore Broadcasting Corporation (SBC) to an evergreen full-time gospel singer who travels around the world to preach about Jesus' love through his songs and life testimony.

Not only he is a born performing artist, he is also gifted in writing and composing annointed songs and produced his own gospel music albums.

As the CCC sanctuary was not big, the stage was very near the seats. We could fully enjoy Ps Chang's beautiful voice with the sound system. I had the impression that I was attending a live mini-concert rather than a church service.

Towards the end, he presented a 1960's oldie "Nan Ping Wan Zhong" (The Evening Bell of Nanping) and explained to us how the world is running after human love which is uncertain, and that only God's eternal love will bring us peace and joy.

Ps Chang was very good at interacting with his audience and often invited us to sing along with him. Sitting next to Siew Hong who used to sing in church choirs, I was also blessed by her sweet accompanying voice.

After the service, Ps Joanne mentioned to the guest speaker that I was actually not from her church. So Ps Chang approached me to shake hands and talk to me. I gave compliments to him for his songs and told him that I must have watched him singing on the television during the SBC times in the past. He was a bit surprised but pleased to hear that.

I bought an album of his to support his ministry. Siew Hong who had already known him as a gospel singer took two CDs. I passed mine to Ps Chang to sign his autograph on the CD. Before he left, this friendly pastor shook hands with us again. I said to him that I looked forward to his future live performances. He told me that he would come to Melaka again next year.

Since yesterday morning, I have become Ps Chang's fan!

No comments: