Tuesday, October 13, 2009

Two Car Accidents Within Ten Days II

I was hand washing my dirty clothes when Phoebe telephoned me to bring forward our appointment to 7.15pm instead of 7.30pm to follow them to the combined cell meeting. She was too busy with her work to prepare a dish for the pot bless that she had decided to buy something on behalf of her family on our way to Ayeh Keroh.

I looked at the clock. Not much time left. So I left aside my clothes soaking in soap water, quickly washed my hair and took a shower. I had cooked agar-agar early in the morning, which cooled down and solidified throughout the day. I just had to cut it into small cubes and put in a container. Then I was ready to go.

With the heavy evening traffic, it would take me at least twenty minutes to reach their house at Cheng. I did not like to be late for appointments. But I kept reminding myself to care for the safety of other road users, even when I was in a hurry. After the previous accident, I was more fervent to pray for God's protection before I started a journey.

While I was heading towards Cheng Heights traffic lights, I had an opportunity to accelerate as the car in front of me was running quite fast at some distance away. Other cars must be blocking its way, for it suddenly braked. As my car was not following it too tightly, I managed to avoid touching it. Then I heard another braking sound. From the car retro mirror, I saw a white car with its front lights on was approaching me at a high speed. I was wondering if it would be able to stop on time.

"Bang!"

Within ten days, two cars ran into mine! This time, the sound was not so loud.

Vehicles were filling the three lanes in front of the traffic lights. Our side was still red, but my first thought was "If I argue with the driver, I'll disturb other road users and cause more congestion. I'll just bear whatever damage to my car." Again, I did not get down from my car. Neither did the driver behind me from his/hers.

As I was staying on the third lane which was leading to the right turning and U-turn, we were moving more slowly than the two other lanes. When there was an empty space on the left, the car behind me shifted to the second lane.

I horned at the car, stared at the driver while he was driving past me. He also turned his head to look at me with no facial expression. I suddenly decided to memorize his car plate number in case I wanted to report to the police. While I was doing so, I felt that the Holy Spirit reminded me, "Last week when you were involved in the other accident, did you hope that the driver also jotted down your car plate number with a bitter heart?"

I immediately asked the Lord for forgiveness and thanked Him for His mercy. I also prayed, "Father God, I forgive the driver now and please bless him in Jesus' name. After all, You're the owner of this car, not me." Joy came back to me. After a short while, it was green light again for me to move forward and take the turning. Phebe's house was in the first residential area on the right.

I only examined the back of my car when I finally parked it opposite Phoebe's house. There was only a small scratch.

When Phoebe and her husband Jeremiah heard my story, they assured me that I could just give them a call if I encountered any problem in the future. And I had this fresh testimony to share during the combined cell meeting to praise the Lord!

No comments: