Friday, October 23, 2009

Flood At Taman Paya Rumput Indah

Yesterday at dusk, I had a rare chance to take a short stroll nearby after these two busy months. I was surprised to find out there was some drainage work going on for the road behind my house. Cars had to be parked at the roadside instead of the porch because the tiles of the entrance were temporarily broken to give way to the digging. As I was curious, I approached a lady standing outside her house to find out what was happening. She told me that the drains were being deepened after their kitchens were attacked by the flow of water due to recent downpour.

Lastly, she said, "We had never imagined that this taman could be flooded!"

I also had never thought of associating this disaster with Taman Paya Rumput Indah because the whole residential area was situated at such a high ground level. I used to tell others that if it were flooded, whole Melaka would be under water. Yet, the flood had truly happened to my neighbours living so close to me. Ironically, their houses were also facing another big drain.

I remembered six years ago when I was at the sales office, the estate agent told me that many buyers had brought their fengshui masters to the empty land to help choosing their future houses. And those who did not want to face neighbours opposite them had to pay RM7,000 to get the view of the field. I only trusted God to lead me to an ideal house according to His will. The only opinion I asked from the agent was the position of the sun to make sure that my living room would be filled with the morning sunlight, not the afternoon one. And I simply picked one based on the map as if I were playing Monopoly.

After I moved into this house and I looked at other houses of the same type, I realized the location of mine was the best. Even today, I still think the same. As it is not on the main road, few cars pass by. It is not a dead-end road unlike the other one on the other side of the field. It is not a long road either, so I could join the main road very fast. Not only my road is higher than those behind, my house is also exceptionally higher than many other houses on the same road. From my house, I can still see the field but it is not too near. Therefore, noise of people having outdoor activities there do not reach me.

Mum sometimes thinks that I should have taken one of the houses on the road behind, as there were a lot of Chinese residents. But I am actually very grateful that God has placed me to be surrounded by Malay, Indian and Baba Nyonya neighbours who neither keep dogs, sing karaoke loudly, nor burn papers which fly over to my front yard.

And there is one more fact to convince her: no flood.

No comments: