Wednesday, September 2, 2009

Eating South Indian Curry To Help The Care Home

The urgent fund-raising for the Calvary Care Home came to the third and the last Sunday. There were only twenty vouchers left when I saw Irwne who still entrusted me with the sale. After the worship, I sat at the back and was calling Abby at two rows in front of me. She did not hear me, but Jean's brother who was sitting between us noticed me. So I also asked him if he would like to buy a voucher and finally he bought four for his family members and Abby as well.

This time, the lunch special was South Indian curry prepared by Neela's "Chettinad Curry House". The helpers formed on a chain to scoop rice, chicken, vegetables,


dal gravy

and take a piece of papadum from the black plastic bag (which resembled a garbage plastic bag) to place on the rice.

Uncle Seelan who was offered the free lunch by CLA was no doubt the happiest person at the canteen.

Since he stayed at a government old people's home, he had to adapt himself to Malay food most of the time but he missed Indian food a lot. At his age, he could not control his trembling hands while eating. And he almost choked on a mouthful of rice. Thank God he was able to breathe normally after Kee Ming had attended to him and prayed for him.

After I put my food on the table, I did not start eating. Instead, I was busy taking pictures for the CLA magazine. By the time I decided to settle down, my papadum had already softened a bit. I carried my plate towards Irene again to ask for more dal curry. Finally, I had a bigger potion of food because of the gravy. Within half an hour, it was all transfered to my stomach.

The care home boys who were the beneficiaries of the fund raising did not seem to appreciate the food.

Many of them just quit the table without finishing their rice. I wished I could show them "Chicken A La Carte". Anyway, I doubt they would be touched by the story and realized that they were so blessed with their current living environment. My nephew and niece just laughed out loud at the sight of the Filipino children who immersed themselves into the pail of leftover food in the movie.

Same smile, but different destiny...

No comments: