Tuesday, June 23, 2009

Japan: VIP Service At A Hair Salon

Emi needed a haircut. So I volunteered to accompany her to the nearby salon. The square building was a few minutes' walk from their house and on the other side of the tracks. She and Ah Yu were regular customers there.

When we arrived, Emi explained to the receptionist that I was her sister-in-law from Malaysia. Learning that I was Ah Yu's sister, one of the staff commented that I looked young, which Emi translated to me. In around year 2000, Ah Yu, who was four years my senior and already working, had visited me while I was still a student in France. When I introduced him to a Japanese acquaintance of mine, she was surprised that I was the younger sibling. After so many years, another Japanese' reaction finally reassured me that my appearance was less mature than Ah Yu's baby face and small frame...

Emi handed her coat to be hung in a small wardrobe behind the counter. Then we waited for awhile near the reception for her turn to have the haircut. When her usual hairdresser was available, she asked Emi to move to another seat in front of the mirror and the desk. Since I was not a customer myself, I did not make any request to follow them. With the beautiful mini garden in front of me, soft music surrounding me and my devotional booklets with me, I was not going to feel bored at all while remaining at where I was.

The hairdresser was very friendly. When she knew my presence, she invited me to sit next to Emi. Soon later, another thoughtful employee came and gently served me a glass of pinkish water. I had never had this kind of VIP service at a salon in Malaysia, not even in France! Not being familiar with their culture and language, I did not dare to walk around to take pictures. So, I started to leaf through a hair style magazine and sip my ice peach tea.

After the haircut, Emi and her hairdresser proceed to another chair and a basin for hair wash. I just finished my drink. The same employee who walked past behind me kindly replaced it with a second glass. When Emi came back to have the hair drying and shoulders massage, a glass was also served to her.

She had asked her hairdresser if I was allowed to photograph inside the salon. I had the permission to everything except for the customers. Not wanting to make other people feel ill-at-ease, I preferred to capture the image of only both of them who had been chatting for almost one hour like good friends.

When Emi was settling the payment at the counter, she showed me another hairdresser who was usually in charge of Ah Yu's hair. Had I known the language, I would have imitated those in the Japanese drama, courteously bowed and said to her, "Thank you for taking care of my brother's hair!"...

The receptionist helped Emi to put on her coat again. Do you dream of enjoying this kind of VIP service?

Have your haircut in Japan.

No comments: