Friday, September 19, 2008

Philippines: First Tricycle Ride

The Philippines is well known for exporting her citizens overseas. In Alex's family, several members were working abroad. So a family van was necessary to transport them between the house and the airport. Another purpose the vehicle could serve was when the whole family travelled to a long distance. These occasions were rare. As soon as we reached his house, the vehicle was abandoned in the garage again for another long period.

The more popular vehicle was the tricycle. Alex's family owned one. Alex was bringing Jason and me to the riverside nearby.

I had ridden on a trishaw before: with Mum when I was small, and with the Toitot couple when we were visiting Penang in 1997. This was the first time on a tricycle. All my excitement was expressed on my face!

There was little fuel in the tank. The tricycle sometimes stopped half way. Alex had to restart the engine. I think if I had got down and started running or even walking, I would have reached the destination faster.

No comments: