Monday, August 17, 2009

Eating Beef Noodles To Help The Care Home

Yesterday, since it was a hot day and I was not on duty as a befriender, I drove to Calvary Life Assembly (CLA) in baby T-shirt and short pants exceptionally. As I was walking into the main sanctuary and shaking hands with the ushers ten minutes before the worship, Irwne approached me and smilingly handed several coupons to me.

"You need to sell these."

It took me a couple of seconds trying to recall if I had any duty that day. Then I realized that he actually wanted my help with the sale like the previous Sunday when David K had also caught hold of me. I seemed to have gained the reputation of a good salesperson after my participation in the jumble sale last November. I was willing but felt my attire inappropriate.

"But I look as if I'm going to the beach. Is it OK to stand here?"

"You're very natural. You look like a Vietnamese!" That was how Irwne assured me. I understood his teasing and was not offended. The lunch special yesterday was Vietnamese beef noodles and our sisters in Christ from the Vietnamese service were already preparing the food and laying the tables early in the morning.

So, my attempt to discretely sit at a corner was in vain. Instead, I probably became the most noticeable person due to my presence among those on duty in their formal clothes. Ps James walked past me during the worship. I was relieved that he did not say anything to me.

After the service, I took my time at the church library. When I went to the canteen, it was crowded with eaters. Many Calvarites and visitors purposely stayed for lunch there to support the urgent fund-raising for Calvary Care Home. I was walking towards Irwne's table when Ps James passed in front of me with his tray.

After I got my bowl in exchange of the RM5-voucher, I sat opposite Sarma who was already sipping her noodles.

She had added in lime juice and chopped chilies, warning me that they were very hot. I loved spicy food, so I did not hesitate to pour the small red chilies into my bowl. The ingredients were from Tangkak, a town in Johor which was very famous for beef noodles. But ours were cooked by the Vietnamese. Sarma who grew up in Indonesia but had been living in Malaysia for a few years commented that this Vietnamese speciality tasted like Chinese soup noodles. I explained to her that the fish sauce made the main difference of the soup base.

After the CLA Family Day, I had a chance to savour the authentic beef noodles again. I have not been to Vietnam. Eating this delicious dish at a local stall will be one of my motivations to visit the country in future.

David was the main person in charge of the sale of the vouchers. Irene who was fasting was available to help him to distribute mineral water in bottles which cost RM1-voucher each.

Pastor Lee and his team from the Vietnamese ministry who gave us the best food and service

served their last bowl to David who finally had a chance to sit down and enjoy his meal. Their faces were always filled with joy of serving God and people.

About hundred and thirty bowls of beef noodles were sold out yesterday. Next Sunday, Nonya "Makko" special and cendol are waiting for us. Come and join us!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Nice coverage there, looks like a small food fest haha.